Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Checking Back In

Sunday's cut-back long run (15 miles) was harder than the previous weekend's long, long run (18 miles). I don't know why. I did push the pace a tiny bit more, but it's hard to believe that made that much of a difference.

Pulled a groin muscle a week ago at the very end of my run. That forced me to spend the week trying to recuperate, and I drew down my mileage quite a bit, not to mention relaxing a little on the intensity. I was hoping that would make this past weekend's run a little easier.

I used the 8-minutes run + 30 seconds walk strategy to complete the 15 miler. I'm resolved to employing that method in the marathon itself. The resulting pace, through distances of 18 miles or less, has proved to be 8:30 to 8:40 per mile. That would be a wonderfully satisfying pace for the full marathon if I can sustain it for another 6-8 miles. But I'm still struggling to push through beyond 18 miles. Next weekend's final long run before the taper will give me some indication of how hard it's going to be on January 23rd.

I recorded Sunday's splits:
Mile 1: 8:35
Mile 2: 8:31
Mile 3: 8:30
Mile 4: 8:34
Mile 5: 8:31
(remarkably consistent pace; took an extra 1:00 after mile 5 to refill water bottle and swallow a GU.)
Mile 6: 8:39
Mile 7: 8:38
Mile 8: 8:40
Mile 9: 8:28
Mile 10: 8:38
(still keeping a good pace; 3:30 pit stop for water, electrolytes, protein drink and another GU.)
Mile 11: 8:29
Mile 12: 8:27
Mile 13: 8:25
Mile 14: 8:28
Mile 15: 8:27
(all 5 final mile splits under 8:30; the rest stop after #10 was longer than I'd planned, but it obviously was refreshing.)

8:32 average pace. That would be around a 3hr 42 min marathon. I know if I try for that, I'll crash and burn. I'm more motivated to finish the race in under 4 hours, so I'm going to work to slow the pace down to 8:40 or more for the first half and evaluate accordingly.

One thing of note: my lower abs and abductor muscles are really sore, along with the usual hip flexors and upper quads. Left ankle is still bothering me, though not as early into these long runs as before.

This week's plan brings milesage back up into the 40s. Then comes the taper.

1 comment: