Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

53 and Beyond

What happened?

 On my way to 51, I was layed off. Found a new job. Started running again...this time to 52. But while making great progress toward the 2012 San Diego Rock N Roll marathon, I turned the left ankle again...and here I am, nearly two years later, and still trying to overcome that injury.

 At the time, I thought it was just a sprain. I treated it like a sprain, took a recuperating break from marathon training and tried to get back on the horse to still finish that race, but reluctantly had to abandon that hope. I then took a month off, wearing a boot and using crutches. Back to running? Still not right. Went to see an orthopedist and learned I had (1) evidence of a prior high ankle sprain and (2) in medical jargon, a lot of "crud" in the joint. Scheduled me for an MRI, but out of pocket cost was going to be $500, so I skipped it. Went back to the boot, this time for longer, and tried to stay in shape in the pool, on the bike and with circuit training. Anything except running.

 In October 2012, I ran in a "zombie run" with my son. Loads of fun, but the ankle was screaming. Nothing was working. I deduced I had multiple issues:

  1. Tendinapathy of the Posterior Tibial Tendon 
  2.  Inflammation were the tendon inserts at the navicular bone
  3. A fibroid node on the plantar fascia
  4. Breakdown of cartilage
  5. An overly flexible ankle joint which, in conjunction with the above, results in a flat arch and over-pronation 

Basically, I ran very little during 2013. My conditioning worsened, I lost my fitness habit and got soft again. Started to feel my age.

 I'm now 53 and I have a decision to make. I'm eligible for guaranteed entry into the 2014 NYC Marathon. I have to exercise that option by March 18th. The entry fee is unrefundable ($266). Can I commit? Am I too brittle for endurance running? From the time of this posting, I have 25 days to decide. For a month, now, I've been doing some conditioning, just trying to ease myself back into a workout routine and restore some measure of fitness. I'm doing some treadmill running, cautiously increasing the intensity, working on form and injury prevention to protect the vulnerable left ankle. Cardio-vascular fitness leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm carrying about 10lbs. extra flab than I should be. I've been running every other or every third day, filling in the gaps with cycling, elliptical and rowing. I'll add swim and strength training.

If I can run a 5K in 25 minutes by 17 March without my ankle killing me, I'll commit and enter the marathon. If I do, I'll start a new blog to track the 8-month journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment